(St. John’s, NL – Tuesday, May 30, 2023) The Energy NL Annual Conference & Exhibition 2023 began on an exceptional note with an address by the Honourable Andrew Parsons, Minister of Industry, Energy & Technology who offered the continuing support of the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador for the provincial energy sector. Minister Parsons was followed by Lazaro Cosma, President of ExxonMobil Canada, who outlined plans of his company in Newfoundland and Labrador including offshore exploration.
The second session of the day featured eight potential wind and clean fuel developers who provided details on and insight into their Newfoundland and Labrador operations, along with their vision for the future of the energy sector. As the wind and clean fuel sector is in such early phases in Newfoundland and Labrador with project details not yet widely available, for many delegates, much of the information provided was new and extremely informative. The session provided an opportunity for delegates to identify potential opportunities and connect with the project leaders.
Day Two begins at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday with a look at potential export areas for Energy NL member expertise and the clean fuels and lower carbon oil produced in Newfoundland and Labrador. There will also be an in-depth discussion on the pathway to net zero in the Newfoundland and Labrador offshore.
Session Three (8:30 a.m.): International Markets: Opportunity for Our Energy Sector
- Honourable Seamus O’Regan, Minister of Labour & MP for St. John’s South-Mount Pearl
- Jonathan Brown, Senior Vice President, Atlantic Region, Cenovus Energy
- Claudio Galimberti, North American Research Director for Rystad Energy
- Pam Keenan, Head of Country, bp Canada
- Melinda Skea, Vice President for Public Affairs, Business Network for Offshore Wind
- Monica Swanson, Program Manager, International Hydrogen, Port of Rotterdam
Session Four (10:50 a.m.) Achieving Net Zero: Pathway Progress
- Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Natural Resources Canada
- Sriram Arasanipalai, Business Development Manager for PGS
- Mike McCann, President & CEO of Rio Tinto Minerals & IOC
- Stephen Penton, Engineering Consultancy with Aker Solutions Canada
- Scott Tessier, CEO of Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board
The afternoon will feature a keynote lunch address by John Steele, CEO of Steele Hotels, along with day two of the BDC Demonstration Stage where Energy NL members will highlight their latest innovations and technologies.
“The first day of our conference was an incredible success with a detailed look at our potential, including both the renewable and non-renewable sides of our energy sector. As was made clear today by numerous speakers, there is not one single pathway forward and the world will continue to need a lower carbon energy mix for decades that Newfoundland and Labrador can offer. Clearly, we have the potential, now we must maximize it for the benefit of our province, and indeed the world.”
- Charlene Johnson, Energy NL CEO
The Energy NL Conference & Exhibition 2023 program is available here.
Energy NL represents approximately 500 member organizations worldwide which are involved in the energy sector. Members are active in all areas of the supply and service sector and include a diverse representation of businesses that range from offshore supply vessels and helicopters, carbon reduction and sustainable technologies, health and safety equipment and training, engineering solutions and fabricators to law firms and human resource agencies.